This section details what you need to do at each stage of the initiation1This initiation sequence is the one taught to me by Richard Ellis, as part of the Usui Shiki Ryōhō tradition.. Note that wherever the instructions mention placing a symbol, say the mantra silently three times as you do so. This does not apply to the Tibetan Fire Serpent and Raku, which do not have accompanying mantras.
You can find full explanations and instructions for these steps in initiations.
- Before you begin, check you have everything listed in the preparation guidelines.
- Place the chair for initiation facing east, and place the altar, if you have one, in the east.
- If you are giving the initiation by distance, connect now.
- Prepare the healing mandala with DKM and CKR into the ten directions.
- If the student is not already in the room, invite her now to enter and to sit on the chair, hands resting on her lap.
- Invoke the guidance and blessing of your angels, spirit guides or those of the student, or The Universe, or God.
- Cleanse and open the student’s aura using soothing downward strokes.
- Stand behind the student and draw DKM and CKR into your palms, and proceed with gasshô meisô.
Behind the Student
- Draw the Tibetan Fire Serpent down the spine. (You do not need to touch the spine as you do this.)
- Place your hands on the shoulders, saying the student’s name silently. Visualise CKR.
- Place your dominant hand above the crown, and raise your non-dominant hand into the air, like an aerial. Wait for the energy to flow into your dominant hand.
- When you are ready, raise your dominant hand upwards, away from the crown. Then draw the following sequence down into the crown. Each time you draw a symbol in a downwards direction, raise your hand back up before drawing the next symbol:
- CKR three times. On the third time only, draw the CKR horizontally instead of vertically.
- Rest your hands over the crown.
To the Side of the Student
The next step is required at levels two and three. It is needed at the first level once only: during the final initiation of the course. For the other initiations during level one, skip it.
- Move to the side of the student, and place your dominant hand vertically over the third eye. Place your other hand on the occipital ridge, which is the area where the skull meets the spine.
- By visualisation place, with mantras:
In Front of the Student
- Move to the front of the student, taking her hands in yours. Lift the hands to the third eye.
- Visualise the sequence of initiation symbols. They enter the student as you blow into the root, third eye, then root again.
- Place the student’s hands, palms-up, on the lap.
Symbols for the Palms
The symbols used depends on the level:
Place your hands, palm down, on top of the student’s palms. Visualise CKR. When you are ready, raise your hands and draw DKM and CKR into the heart chakra.
Trace over the palms, with mantras: HSZSN, SHK, CKR. You don’t have to touch the palms, but can trace the symbols in the air over the palms. Blow three times into the palms, and bring them together in gasshô over the heart. Guide the student’s hands back down to the lap. Draw DKM and CKR into the heart chakra.
Trace over the palms, with mantras: DKM and then CKR. Then blow three times into the palms, and bring them together in gasshô over the heart. Guide the student’s hands back down to the lap. Draw DKM and CKR into the heart chakra.
At the Feet
- Place your hands on the feet and visualise CKR.
- Visualize light coming down through the energy system of the student, purifying and protecting her.
- Go behind the student and place your hands on the shoulders, visualising CKR.
- Gently draw Raku down the spine, without actually touching the body.
- Smooth the aura and silently give thanks.
- Bring the student back to awareness by saying something like this: “When you feel ready, begin to open your eyes. Take as much time as you need.”
You can find this initiation sequence on the reference cards that you received as part of this course.